It all started with my wish to use SharePoint Online included in my Office 365 Subscription to manage and organize my self-employed activity. So having in mind the “Eating your own dog food” principle I designed a simple SharePoint Intranet Solution which included:
|SharePoint Site||Site Template||Description|
|Home Site||Team Site||Contains some personal resources, useful links and the official calendar.|
|Finance||Blank Site||Contains a customer list, invoices and contracts which are related to the coresponding customer.|
|Templates||Blank Site||Contains document and presentation templates.|
|Documents||Document Center||Contains all my project archive documentation and a drop-off library for content routing.|
|Wiki||Enterprise Wiki||Contains my personal KB with articles and links which I consider to be very useful.|
|Search||Enterprise Search Center||A search center to help me find information.|
When I wanted to implement a custom excel template for my Invoice content type in SharePoint online, I found out the hard way that challenges might appear if I used Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit. Rephrased: it did’t work at all. Then I discovered another interesting thing: it was not possible to switch to Datasheet View in my document library.
Basically the error message was:
– A datasheet component compatibile with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation is not installed.
– You Web browser does not support ActiveX controls.
– A component is not properly configured for 32-bit or 64-bit support.
After searching a little on the Microsoft Technet site a found the Plan browser support (SharePoint Server 2010) link. It seems that using any of the Office 2010 64 bits versions might raise some technical challenges:
– Datasheet view – Requires a 64-bit ActiveX control. Microsoft Office 2010 does not provide a 64-bit version of this control.
– Edit in Microsoft Office application – Requires a 64-bit ActiveX control. Microsoft Office 2010 does not provide a 64-bit version of this control.
This is a good thing to be known and to be taken into consideration when designing the software packages which are going to be installed within the local area network. The only problem for me was that on my machine I had installed 64-bits versions of: Office 2010, Visio 2010, SharePoint Designer 2010, German Language Pack for Office 2010. In order to switch to 32-bits versions I had to uninstall and reinstall them all.
Trackback from your site.